Remember the days when you could go to bed and sleep like a baby until eight? Well those days are no more. Who would have thought that sharing a bed could have lost it's luster after years of removing the screen from my bedroom window to sneak out and stay the night in someone else's bed? Okay okay, so maybe that wasn't me at all. I'm not that rebellious and definitely didn't have a guy in which to share said bed. However, I did have my share of sleepovers with Chris after I had moved out on my own. Maybe it's because it was something new, or because I didn't stay that often, or perhaps it was just my love for cuddling that made me not notice the lack of sleep after staying. Too much information? Visuals?? Okay, I digress.


Four days from now marks the day that I can etch the one year notch on the prison room wall that I call my bedroom. No, it's not because my husband is evil and I already want a divorce. It's because I suffer from Spousal Arousal Syndrome. Yes, it's real...see here. Upon first glance, this sounds like a term to describe someone who wants some "activity" 24/7. Quite the contrary (and I have a roommate who I don't think would appreciate that!).

Spousal Arousal Syndrome - being awakened by your partner's snoring, having your sleep disrupted many times throughout the night, and having your concentration at work being negatively affected by the resulting fatigue


I like it cold - Chris likes it hot.
I prefer an open window - Chris turns on the space heater and electric blanket on high.
I sleep with my arms by my side - Chris sleeps with his elbows in my face
(One false move and it's an elbow to my face and a black eye the next morning!)
I apparently grind my teeth at night, but that's quiet, right? - Chris snores.
All in all, this makes for a competition of who can disturb the other the most. So perhaps neither of us is a good partner to share a bed with, but I still can't help but dream about the days when I could sleep undisturbed. Perhaps one of these days we're going to go the ways of I Love Lucy and get a few twin beds. Every night would be a sleepover - the way they're meant to be!