I didn't know -34 degrees existed - at least not in Iowa. But alas, it does, and I have become the queen of layers. Waiting for the bus every day at 6:30 in the morning never sucked so badly. I try to rough the weather by piling on leggings, dress pants, knee high socks, and fur-lined boots, and I top it all off with a pair of sweatpants. No amount of wind is able to cause so much as a single goosebump on my protected legs. The downside? That would be removing the sweatpants at the precise moment that Brent, a VP, walks by my desk.


"I thought I told you no stripping in the office," he says.
Of course he's kidding (well, at least I hope), but if the outdoors didn't make me wish I was hanging out in a freezer instead, then maybe I wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. And neither would the creepy Hannibal Lector guy on the bus. I get that we have to be warm, but at least be presentable enough that the entire crowd on the bus doesn't want to run off screaming than to sit next to Mr. Lector. He was bundled from head to toe - literally. He had some ski mask on that had four small holes near the mouth, and that's about all I could see of him. At least take off the baseball cap so I can see your eyes and know that you're not thinking of eating me for dinner.

Perhaps now you get just how cold it is. One would imagine that our uninsulated master bedroom is just as frigid as the arctic outdoors. Well, it is. Chris thinks the wall behind our bed is so cold that if his pillow touches it, then it becomes too cold for use. So, today we took advantage of the "nice" weather to go out shopping for supplies for a headboard. Hopefully this will prevent his pillows from giving him the chills, as well as to provide a cushy back rest while enjoying a good book in bed.

As our bedroom is desperately needing some texture - or really any decorations, come to think of it - we decided to go a little bold and make the headboard 8 feet long. Many of the bedroom walls are too short to hang anything on, so we figured that we needed a big statement piece. After far too long at JoAnn's Fabric, we finally settled on a striped fabric that brought in some more colors to the room.




We're still in desperate need of lights on the bedside tables, and many other accents, but it's a good start! Now that we're pros at upholstering, we're going to tackle my amazing chair next! Once recovered and moved to the bedroom, it'll provide the perfect spot for a tea and the Sunday newspaper.