Apparently 2009 is the year for babies - I have two cousins on each side of the family expecting! There will be a trio of infants at this year's Thanksgiving at my mom's side, and there will be FIVE infants on my dad's side (my cousin Katie is having triplets!). Baby #1 arrived this month to my cousins Brian & Cathy. I haven't yet been out to see him, but my mom sent pictures and he sure is a beautiful baby.

Baby Cruz
Born: 6/8/09

Cathy was able to make it up for my brother's graduation, so I gave her Cruz' birthday gift a little early knowing I probably wouldn't be able to make it back to Nebraska after he was born. I've been living on my sewing machine whenever I'm not at work or reading, so I decided to make him a few things.

The first was a hooded towel. I bought 1.5 yards of yellow terry cloth and just used scrap fabrics for the accents. It was pretty easy to make, but I must admit that sewing in circles took a lot of patience for me. It is big enough that he can be wrapped up snugly now, but still be able to use it once he reaches the toddler stage.

The second was just a simple tag blanket. I got some super soft minky fabric and a fun, gender-neutral fabric for the front. It was my first go at sewing on stretch fabric, and I hated every minute of it. Actually, it was my second attempt - the first was a miserable failure that is super cute, but poorly constructed. Chris liked it though, so I kept it for Baby Curtis. I love the idea of tag blankets as I grew up carrying around a gross burp cloth as my security blanket, so I plan on making many more of these for other gifts as they're just so darned cute! Too bad the minky fabric wasn't so expensive, but it's worth it!


I have a lot of other projects complete that are just waiting for their time to shine online, so hopefully I can get the pictures up soon!