Okay, that's a super corny title - but fitting! Last week I decided to try picking up a few new-to-me vegetables. I'm trying to remember to buy what's in season in order to keep my grocery bill down (read here for some other helpful hints from Sarah). So, I came home with a spaghetti squash and butternut squash in my ugly reusable grocery bag. The only problem: I had no idea what to do with them! After a few searches, I found a butternut squash recipe that I just happened to have all of the ingredients to, so of course I had to try it!


Mashed Butternut Squash and Pears
Adapted from: Food Network

1 large butternut squash
2 Anjou pears
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Peel the pears, cut in half and remove the core. Place the pears and squash, cut side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet.

In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the vanilla extract, brown sugar and ginger, and remove from the heat. Brush this mixture onto the squash and pears, then season with salt and pepper. Set the remaining mixture back over low heat. Roast the squash and pears until soft, about 45-60 min (mine went 55 min), when a knife can be inserted easily into the flesh. Scoop out the flesh of the squash and place into a large bowl with the pears. Mash them with a fork and stir in the remaining butter mixture.


So, the mash may not look all that appetizing, but I promise it was delicious! It had the sweetness from the brown sugar, but all of the nutrients of the squash that you just can't find in a regular old potato. The pears added a nice and unexpected touch. I could eat this stuff every night!

And while I was waiting for the squash in the oven, I decided to try another recipe that would help clean out my fridge. I saw cream cheese frosting (which I never have on hand, but I had a coupon that made it free!) and some leftover carrots. Carrot cupcakes? I think so!! Only problem? The recipe called for whole-wheat pastry flour. What the heck is that? I did have some healthy flours leftover from my homemade protein bars. However, I have yet to label my fancy flour containers, so regrettably I cannot tell you what I added! I'm guessing that it was spelt flour. Lesson here - it seems that any wheat flour will do as they turned out delicious!


Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted From: Food Network


3/4 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I love this stuff!)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups. Sift together the first 6 ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, brown sugar and eggs until well combined. Whisk in the applesauce, vanilla and carrots. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the walnuts. Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.